Thursday, July 28, 2011

One Month Old

I'm going to try and do a blog for each month.  The first few months won't be much because like I said in the previous post, I haven't written down very much.  I'll be blogging what I can remember. 

Edward was born weighing in at 8lb 6oz and 20 inches long.  At his first visit to the pediatrician, he weighed 7lbs 15oz.  She reassured us that the drop in weight is both normal and expected and that his weight will be back up in no time!  By our next appointment, he'd gained the appropriate amount of weight.  I did have to supplement with formula until he was 6 days old because my milk hadn't arrived.  He quickly became a breastfeeding champ and we haven't had any problems since then.

Edward was 10 days old when we had his newborn photos taken.  They turned out perfect!  Tiffany with Mulberry Dreams did such and amazing job.  I've attached my absolute favorite below!

When Edward was about two and a half weeks old, I noticed some changes in him that made me worry.  He would cough/choke anywhere from 20 minutes to as much as an hour after feedings.  While he slept in my arms, he'd make a gurgling noise and then get a look of pain on his face.  He always had to be in my arms.  If I put him down, he'd cry!  He'd be sound asleep but wake up crying the minute I put him in his bed.  I did some online "research" and self diagnosed him with acid reflux, but dismissed my gut feelings as, "He's just spitting up." Then he began to get very cranky during the day.  I noticed this during our first trip to my dad's house in Waco when he was three weeks old.  During his 4 weeks check-up, I mentioned the symptoms to his doctor and she said, "Acid Reflux!"  He even had an episode in the office so she saw for herself.  I felt terrible!!  I should have followed my gut and taken him in much sooner.  All this time, he'd been in pain and I didn't do anything about it.  She started him on liquid Zantac and I immediately saw a difference.  He slept so well for the next several days!!  This taught me to always follow my motherly instinct.  I didn't know it was there, but it had arrived!!

As far as his food intake during the first month, he nursed every 3 hours and was up every 4-6 hours at night. 

He made his first trip to Waco at three weeks.  We went to see my family, but the reason was to see my brother, Uncle Alex, when he came home from boot camp for a few days.  The family went to San Diego to see him graduate, but we didn't get to go.  He understood.  I went looking through my camera for pictures of this trip and do I have any?  NOPE!  I'm sure my dad has hundreds, so I'll get some from him! 

Below are a couple of pictures of Edward during the first month.
My absolute favorite newborn picture!!

My other favorite.  Honestly, they were all my favorite!

Sleeping baby!  We had to keep socks on his hands because the mittens fell off.

Bright eyes!

Edward lived on my chest for the first month!  It was his favorite place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment